(PLEASE NOTE CHANGES TO CATEGORIES AND CONTEST TIME EFFECTIVE SUMMER 2018)
Kids <12: 1st Place Girl $10 and 1st Place Boy $10
Teens 13-17: 1st Place $20 and 2nd Place $10
Adults 18<: 1st Place PRO/AM-$50; 2nd Place PRO-$25/AM-$25; 3rd Place PRO-$15/AM-$15. Winners in the PRO-division will also receive free admission to the next Charlotte Comicon show, as well as gift certificates TBD. Additional prizes may also be given in addition to those listed, as we love surprises!
Honorable Mentions: Special recognition will be given to the following categories. Please note, honorable mentions [other than those receiving an award] will only be recognized on stage as time permits, with no more than 5 groups or crossovers brought to the stage on such occasion.
- Best Group/Duo–Groups count as ONE entry and may have no more than 5 members. All members must be present when signing in for judging and again when awards are distributed in the event they are called to the stage (These awards are chosen by judges; all judges’ decisions are final)
- Best Crossover/Hybrid–These are ‘mash-up’ costumes, such as “Negan Quinn” or “Zombie Wonder Woman” etc. (These awards are chosen by judges; all judges’ decisions are final)
- Hero’s Choice, one per age group (as chosen by CCC Staff; all staff decisions are final)
PLEASE NOTE: The cut-off time for Costume Contest Registration is 1:30pm-No Exceptions! This will allow adequate time for our judges to review the entries and make their final decisions. We had nearly 200 registered competitors at our last show, and expect even more this time. Setting a cut-off time for registration will allow us to streamline the process and provide a better experience for all of our guests.
- Registration With Judging: On-site at the stage from 11am through 1:30pm on Sunday of the show- You will have one-on-one discussion time (3 minutes max) with your division judge at the time of registration. Combined, our judges speak with up to 200 cosplayers per contest. They use this time not only for technical judging, but as a means of mentoring and guidance. This quality time has enabled cosplayers to grow and develop their skills from show to show and most have gone on to compete at larger, higher-stakes competitions. Many of our Adult and Teen cosplayers began in our Kids Division and have aged up through the ranks. The encouragement, tips and counseling provided by our judges is an invaluable experience for our cosplayers and sets us apart from other walk-on shows.
- As always, our judges will select a Top 10 in each division, based on overall scores tallied during registration/judging period. [Contestants have up to 3 minutes (vs. 90 second walk-ons) to present themselves to their division judge and discuss their cosplay. Cosplays are then scored in the following 3 areas with each based on a scale of 1-5 points–Detail: Closeness of Costume to Character; Craftsmanship: Effort and Overall Quality; Presentation: How Well the Character is Presented to the Judges.] The audience then votes for the final winners, as narrowed down and presented in detail by the division judges on stage.
Our Pro-Division is intended for those competitors who fit one or more of the following criteria:
- Skilled cosplayers with cosplay experience, recognition and/or awards.
- Professional actors and actresses or groups who perform outside the convention circuit are required to compete at this level.
- Professional costumers, seamstresses or people who take commissions for creating costumes, props or other clothing are required to compete at this level for Construction. If someone else made your costume for you, you must credit that person.
- Anyone who has won awards at one of our shows in the Adult division.
- An individual who has achieved “Master” status at any other major convention.
- Any cosplayer of any age who meets the criteria and who chooses to compete in this division may do so.
- Once a cosplayer has won (1st, 2nd or 3rd) in the Pro-division, they may NOT compete as the same character again. There is an expectation at the Pro-level of talent and personal growth, and we love having seen each past Pro winner return with something new to WOW us with.
- Members of Cosplay Groups and Professional Cosplay Groups local to NC/SC that make charitable appearances and the like, must compete at the PRO level and may NOT compete in their “notable” cosplay. For example, if Al Bigley wanted to compete at our show, he would have to do so in a costume that was not Batman or Captain America (we love you, Al)
- Paid professional cosplayers or models may not compete in the cosplay contest.
- Cosplayers who are represented or representatives of a Nationally recognized organization, association, or cosplay group (ie., the 501st) may not compete in the cosplay contest.
Pro-Division Registration Forms will be available at the judges table. Simply fill out the form and turn it in, then be back in time to lineup at the stage by 3:15. Award winners will be selected by Guest Judges (TBD).
- Photographers and guests are welcome to take photos at their leisure, so long as they respect the show guests, hotel guests and management as well as hotel property and grounds. Please review our Photography Policy Page. Thank you in advance for your cooperation
- Winners Announced: 3:30 on stage
- As we work to ensure that all entrants compete with their peers and not against more experienced entrants, categories have been established. While Adult contestants may pick their own level, an entry may be reclassified by the Judges or the Cosplay Program Director if they feel it is appropriate.
We have always been impressed with the quality and variety of costumes that come through the door at each of our shows. Many are store bought, and even more are homemade. But, there are a few things to keep in mind before you arrive to the show…
Make sure you read our Cosplay Rules and Conduct Page! Failure to comply with the Cosplay Rules and Conduct may result in being removed from the competition and/or convention.
If you wish to compete in the costume contest, you must stop at our table and sign in for judging during the designated times, NO exceptions.
Thanks for your cooperation!
Like us on Facebook! That’s where you’ll find a lot of fun pictures from our shows!