NEW COSPLAY DIVISIONS! With the constant increase in participation (and many returning competitors), and the varying ages that we see at each show, Charlotte Comicon has added new divisions for the Costume Contest. As of 2017, our Adult division will be divided into Pro/Am registrations. Our Kids and Teens divisions will also be split into Best Female and Best Male. This will allow us to acknowledge even more of the amazing cosplayers we see at our shows! After our Guest Judges have made their choices, the prizes will break down as follows:
Kids <12: Best Female $15 and Best Male $15
Teens 13-17: Best Female $15 and Best Male $15
Adults 18<: 1st Place PRO/AM $50 each; 2nd Place PRO/AM $20 each; 3rd Place PRO/AM $10 each. Winners in the PRO-division will also receive free admission to the next Charlotte Comicon show. Additional prizes may also be given in addition to those listed, as we love surprises!
Honorable Mentions: Special recognition will be given to Best Group/Duo; Best Crossover/Hybrid; and one Hero’s Choice per age group, (as chosen by CCC Staff).
PLEASE NOTE: The cut-off time for Costume Contest Registration is 1:30pm! This will allow adequate time for our judges to review the entries and make their final decisions. We had nearly 200 registered competitors at our last show, and expect even more this time. Setting a cut-off time for registration will allow us to streamline the process and provide a better experience for all of our guests.
- Registration With Judging: On-site at the stage from 11am through 1:30pm- You will have one-on-one discussion time with your division judge at the time of registration. As always, our judges will select a Top 10 in each division, based on overall scores tallied during registration/judging period. The audience then votes for the final winners. Hero’s Choice awards are chosen by our staff. Pro-Division Award winners will be selected by the Judges.
Our Pro-Division is intended for those competitors who fit one or more of the following criteria:
- Skilled cosplayers with cosplay experience, recognition and/or awards.
- Professional actors and actresses or groups who perform outside the convention circuit are required to compete at this level.
- Professional costumers, seamstresses or people who take commissions for creating costumes, props or other clothing are required to compete at this level for Construction.
- Anyone who has won awards at one an award at our shows in the Adult division.
- An individual who has achieved “Master” status at any other major convention.
- Anyone who chooses to compete in this division may do so.
- Official Charlotte Comicon Group Photo: 1:45pm Grand Staircase in the hotel lobby. Our photographer will be taking group photos of all the cosplayers, whether competing or not–all cosplayers are welcome to be in the group photos. Other photographers, amateur or professional, are welcome so long as they stay behind the lines and do not interfere with the convention shots. Photographers and guests are then welcome to take photos at their leisure, so long as they respect the hotel guests and management as well as hotel property and grounds. Thank you in advance for your cooperation
- Winners Announced: 3:30 on stage
We have always been impressed with the quality and variety of costumes that come through the door at each of our shows. Many are store bought, and even more are homemade. But, there are a few things to keep in mind before you arrive to the show.
- No functional weapons are allowed at the Charlotte Comicon. DO NOT BRING REAL SWORDS, GUNS OR ANY TYPE OF AUTHENTIC WEAPON TO THE SHOW. Only props are allowed. Simulated or costume weapons are allowed as part of your costume. No projectile weapons (including but not limited to airsoft or paintball weapons) will be allowed!
- All simulated or costume weapons are subject to inspection by security or convention staff. Participants found to be in violation of these rules will be subject to removal from the show.
- Also, please keep it “clean”. While it has become common practice at some larger conventions for females to come dressed scantily clad, we ask that you respect that we are a Family Friendly show. There will be children of all ages in attendance, and surely they do not wish to see your naughty bits. That being said, it is understandable that many comic characters are drawn in tight-fitting and, well, tiny outfits [ie., Wonder Woman, Cat Woman, Black Canary, Poison Ivy, and many, many more…]. There is a distinct difference between paying homage to a character and making it “dirty”. Use your heads! CCC Staff reserves the right to request that attendee/s cover-up if a costume is questionable, causing any discontent or concern with regards to other attendees or hotel staff. If covering up is not possible, attendee may be asked to leave (and may return in proper dress). This is as much for your protection as it is the integrity of the show.
- While we understand that those participating in cosplay love to have their picture taken, please respect that we are a Family Friendly show. It is within your right to pose however you see artistically fit, however, it is within our right to protect the minors attending our show. Use discretion when opting for suggestive or lewd poses. Those types of photo-shoots must be made outside. We don’t need our youngest attendees trying to understand why Deadpool is acting as a “human bra” for Black Widow. Show some character as you know your character and honor their traditional poses while inside the hotel. Our staff want you to have a good time, but please be aware of your surroundings.
If you wish to compete in the costume contest, be sure to stop at our table and sign in for judging.
Thanks for your cooperation!
Like us on Facebook! That’s where you’ll find a lot of fun pictures from our shows!