NEW COSPLAY DIVISIONS! With the constant increase in participation (and many returning competitors), and the varying ages that we see at each show, Charlotte Comicon has added new divisions for the Costume Contest. As of 2017, our Adult division will be divided into Pro/Am registrations. Our Kids and Teens divisions will also be split into Best Female and Best Male. This will allow us to acknowledge even more of the amazing cosplayers we see at our shows! After our Guest Judges have made their choices, the prizes will break down as follows:
Kids <12: Best Female $15 and Best Male $10
Teens 13-17: Best Female $15 and Best Male $15
Adults 18<: 1st Place PRO/AM $50 each; 2nd Place PRO/AM $20 each; 3rd Place PRO/AM $15 each. Winners in the PRO-division will also receive free admission to the next Charlotte Comicon show. Additional prizes may also be given in addition to those listed, as we love surprises!
Honorable Mentions: Special recognition will be given to Best Group/Duo; Best Crossover/Hybrid; and one Hero’s Choice per age group, (as chosen by CCC Staff).
PLEASE NOTE: The cut-off time for Costume Contest Registration is 1:30pm! This will allow adequate time for our judges to review the entries and make their final decisions. We had nearly 200 registered competitors at our last show, and expect even more this time. Setting a cut-off time for registration will allow us to streamline the process and provide a better experience for all of our guests.
- Registration With Judging: On-site at the stage from 11am through 1:30pm- You will have one-on-one discussion time with your division judge at the time of registration. As always, our judges will select a Top 10 in each division, based on overall scores tallied during registration/judging period. The audience then votes for the final winners. Hero’s Choice awards are chosen by our staff. Pro-Division Award winners will be selected by the Judges.
Our Pro-Division is intended for those competitors who fit one or more of the following criteria:
- Skilled cosplayers with cosplay experience, recognition and/or awards.
- Professional actors and actresses or groups who perform outside the convention circuit are required to compete at this level.
- Professional costumers, seamstresses or people who take commissions for creating costumes, props or other clothing are required to compete at this level for Construction.
- Anyone who has won awards at one an award at our shows in the Adult division.
- An individual who has achieved “Master” status at any other major convention.
- Anyone who chooses to compete in this division may do so.
- Official Charlotte Comicon Group Photo: 1:45pm Grand Staircase in the hotel lobby. Our photographer will be taking group photos of all the cosplayers, whether competing or not–all cosplayers are welcome to be in the group photos. Other photographers, amateur or professional, are welcome so long as they stay behind the lines and do not interfere with the convention shots. Photographers and guests are then welcome to take photos at their leisure, so long as they respect the hotel guests and management as well as hotel property and grounds. Thank you in advance for your cooperation
- Winners Announced: 3:30 on stage